Saturday, February 2, 2008

Super Bowl Weekend

I've been fighting off some upper respiratory crud and haven't been on the bike much in the last couple of weeks. After a couple of weeks, I'm startingto think ,"Valley Fever" and really hoping this isn't it. Valley fever is a real thing that hits people in the Phoenix area. Its kind of a cold/flu thing that goes on for weeks. With any luck, this is just a cold. Anyway, it makes climbing a chore on the bike.

For the first day of Super Bowl weekend, I started out at Dreamy Draw and worked east. Theres a neat section of trail, I think its 8, that follows up a ravine and tops out about 1/4 mile SW of the A&W house. With all the rain lately, the desert is really fascinating. Unfortunately, all the trails are rockier than normal, with a lot of loose stuff to keep your focus. Anyway, I made it up there and got to see the oddity that sits pretty much alone in the preserve. The house looks like something from the 60s, with a sort of gawdy elegance. Whoever built it had a lot more dollars than sense.

Depending on weather, I might ride at south mountain. I've only ridden the road up to the lookout once, during a silent sunday. Given that the whole city will probably be watching a couple of east coast teams bump into each other, the mountain should be all mine. I haven't ridden the trails there before because there's apparently a lot of folks hiking and riding around most of the time and even parking there is supposed to be a problem. Weather outlook calls for rain, but if it isn't bad, I'll go and get wet. I will just have to miss my annual super bowl nap where I kick on the TV and fall asleep before the first quarter is over.

No comments: