Sunday, January 27, 2008

Slow Truly Defined

A week ago, I went out east and rode Hawes, etc. with a group of riders in much better shape than me. I warned them that I would be slow and, if they wanted to drop me I'd ride alone and maybe see them back at the parking lot. Turned out they were kind enough to wait for me at trail intersections and avoid comments like, "Godamn, you are the slowest sumbitch in the valley!"

I really felt slower than usual too. I had donated blood during the prior week and was in the second day of a headcold. I took some stopyourrunnynose pills and figured riding might actually help clear things up. Didn't, sucked.

Hawes is a very cool trail area. I rode it once in the early fall when the temp was about 100, and I was looking forward to the ride in cooler weather. I have only been there twice now, because its 50 miles from my apartment and I'm not a big fan of burning a lot of gas to ride my bike. Feels like it kind of defeats the purpose.

Speaking of apartments and driving to ride, I am moving to a new apartment that is about a mile from the 32nd St trailhead at Phoenix Mtn Preserve. The reason for the move is mostly economic (not a fan of paying almost $900/month for a 1 bdrm w/dumpster view), but my sweetheart says. "Its all about the bike." Actually, its all about the biking. Big difference.
Anyway, its temporary. When the house in Kansas sells and we make the big move, the location will be based more on politics and volunteerism than biking, but that's a story for later.

1 comment:

Dave W said...

Old slow and fat hey it's Liteandfast here. I just found your blog listed on someone elses blog so I had to come over and read yours too. Then I thought I'd look for an entry about Hawes, and here it is. That was a great day I'm glad you came out with us. The guys didn't complain even once about you being back there. Have been back twicce since then and I finally got to do Twisted Sister to Big Rock and over to Ellsworth Rd by the NRA area. That totalled about 14 miles that day. Just me and the wife. We saw wild horses on Wild Horse pass which made Patti happy. \
Anyway man glad to have met you and we'll see you around the dirt sometiume man. Take care. Next time you give blood dont ride after, just have a beer instead. Much more fun.
Dave