Sunday, February 24, 2008

Desert Classic and a little T100

Yesterday was a gorgeous day that topped out about 68. MTBR Arizona showed a group ride at 10:am, Desert Classic starting at the Pima Canyon trailhead. Since it was listed as a c-ride, I figured what the heck, I should be able to fit it in between running around to the baseball stadiums buying tickets for spring training. Arriving at the trailhead, I found every parking space full. Managed to find a spot near the park entrance that didn't say you could park there, nor did it say you couldn't. Rode up to th emeet point, arriving at 9:55. Waited around for about 10 minutes and began to think the ride wasn't going to happen. Started out on my own solo group ride. Desert Classic is an interesting trail with lots of whoop-dee-doos and not much climbing. The trail marker posts are numbered, b ut I don't know what the numbers mean. Seemed like 1/10s of a mile, but they weren't very evenly spaced. Anyway, I rode out to marker 54and started back. Met up with 3 guys who were there for the group ride, two were still outbound and 1 was coming back. The returner and I hooked up and headed back to the parking lot. I'm not sure, but I think the ride was 12-14 miles. One thing I've noticed is that c-riders tend to go faster than I do. I guess I'm more of a d+ rider. I can usually keep my wheels between me and the ground in the terrain they ride, but I'm a hell of a lot slower.



Today, I was dragging around, doing chores and running errands. Got out on the bike about 3:00pm and wenmd looking for a T100 trailhead near the apartment. I found one at 24th St, but it turned into a rough climb that I wasn't really up for. Pushed the bike up and found a meet with T100. From there I headed west to the power lines, then back east, up Dreamy Draw and down to the 32nd St Trailhead. Made it back to the apaartment in time to listen to "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" on the local NPR station.



I'm thinking next weekend I might do all of T100, starting at 32nd, heading west to 7th Ave, east to Tatum, and back to 32nd St. Its about 20 miles, so I'm thinking (don't laugh) 4 to 5 hours, followed by a good soak in the apartments' hot tub.

No comments: