Saturday, August 25, 2007

Saturday ride and White Tank Mtn trip

I am getting into the habit of waking up at 4:45 and heading out on the "You'll throw your back out" Klein by about 5:00. There's a nice loop at Thunderbird Park between 59th and 67th that takes about 30 minutes, which makes an hour before its time to get ready for work. Its Saturday, but I had some work related stuff, so I rode the loop, then hopped in the truck for a run to the White Tank Mountains. At work, we're placing some antennas on an existing tower up there and I wanted to get a look before we start. The road in from the south is closed to all but folks with towers and equipment onthe mountaintops. It's steep and rough with tight switchbacks for about 12 miles to the site. Throw in the rain and lightning and it was an interesting drive. The 24 mile in and out drive took a little over 2 hours. Because the vestiges of Hurricane Dean made it cloudy and rainy in the valley, I couldnt get any decent pictures.

Tomorrow it'll be another early morning ride, then a blood donation which, by the way, is the proper order for those activities. Once, in Kansas City, I rode my bike to donate blood. Going to the Red Cross was fine, but the hilly 5 mile ride back was awful. I can't recommend reverse blood doping for its performance result. If the positive cycling effect of blood doping is the converse of the effect from donating a pint, I can see why the racers would do it.

No comments: