Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Going to Phoenix

We have been in Kansas for 4 1/2 years, and although we've met some good folks and did some interesting things here, the mountain biking leaves a lot to be desired. There are some decent trails, but they are all at least 60 miles away. The best ones in Kansas are near Topeka and Lawrence, which are both over 120 miles from our home.

We recently decided to move, and the job search is taking us to Phoenix, where the mtn biking is pretty good, definitely a major step up. I start my new job on August 20th, so we are heading out in a couple of weeks. In 33 years of wedded bliss (yes, we are still gaga over each other), this will be our 12th move. Each time its supposed to be our last!

This blog is entitled Old Fat & Slow, because that what I am. I can't do much about the first part, but I am going to do something about the other two. After a few months in Phoenix, I want to be older, less fat and not so slow. Riding rhythm, endurance, speed and technique have all suffered over the last few years of gravel roads and not much else. Its time to fix the problem.

One of our sons and his wife lived in Phoenix for the last two years and they recently moved to Seattle. We were able to visit them a couple times before they left and I was able to ride some great trails with Sean. http://theyearofthebicycle.blogspot.com/

I've had so much fun reading Sean's blog, that I decided to follow up with my own, and track my progress at becoming less fat and less slow. The getting older part will take care of itself.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're going to love the riding, I'm looking forward to visiting.

su.ling~ said...

Hey Sean's pops! I hope you enjoy Phoenix as much as we do. There is some awesome riding out here, Prescott, Flag, Tucson..etc..etc. Phoenix will get your tech skills up and running!

Welcome to our Paradise!

su ling :D

Unknown said...

Well, well... another blog to follow! I hope the transition to Phoenix goes well. It's so crazy you're going there! Sean and I had this good hike and bike thing going toward the end, where he'd ride t-100 and I'd hike at Dreamy Draw. If you end up close to there, I bet Judy would enjoy the trails. Same deal at 40th street. 7th ave is a little more on the sketch side for a lone, lady hiker.

Michele

tims said...

Welcome to Phoenix! As a former Kansan (outside of Wichita) I can say it's a great place to be "FROM" :-)