Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lasik

As of 2011, my health insurance fully covers the cost of vision correction surgery. Its something I have been considering for a long time, but the cost made a cheapskate like me put it off, and off, and off. Since cost suddenly became a non-issue, I made the appointment and had it done.

This wasn't a vanity thing. If you've seen me, you pretty well know that vanity doesn't much enter into stuff like this. The real reason for Lasik was the activities I really enjoy, mountain biking and sailing. In both cases, there are always a pretty good chance of losing my glasses, or at least a lens. Without my specs, I couldn't ride a bike, so if I was 10 miles from the trailhead, its a 10 mile walk with a lot of stumbling along. Then, when I'd get back to the truck, I couldn't drive. In the sailboat, if the glasses went in the water, it was a pretty good bet I would not be able to find the landing, let alone the truck and trailer.

So, into the surgery I went. The whole thing was pretty quick, not more than 20 minutes, and surprisingly painless. I came out being able to see well, but a bit fuzzy. Its now 2 days after and I am seeing 20/20 at distance, but close in definitely requires reading glasses, at 3 pairs for $20.

I won't be doing any riding or sailing until next weekend. Looking forward to it though!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, shit. So you got it done. That's some big news there.

Old Fat and Slow said...

Yeah. I've been looking at it for a long time. They've got it to a fine art and the only thing holding me back was the price tag. SInce that went away, I wanted to get it done before the insurance company changed their minds. Within about 10 ft things are fuzzy, which should clear up over the next few weeks. Distance vision is close to flawless and should also improve in a few weeks. I need reading glasses now, but I'm not essentially crippled if I lose my glasses. I am pretty excited over the results.