Thursday, July 31, 2008

Benchmark

I went out for a morning ride yesterday without my usual riding buddy. The humidity was down and temperature about 85, perfect riding conditions for Summer in Phoenix. I was feeling pretty good, so I figured it was time to set a benchmark to gauge my fitness. One of my favorite loops from 32nd St. is to go clockwise, down Zipper, loop around to catch a piece of 100, up 8 toward the AW house, drop through the gully, loop around and work up to the pass just east of Piestawa Pk, then 1A across to Conversation Point and down Zipper to 32nd St. This works out to 5.9 miles and makes a challenging loop for a geezer like me. I usually stop and catch my breath 3 or 4 times. This time I stopped twice and rested for not more than 30 seconds each time. Made the loop in 56 minutes. It's not fast enough to set any records, but I only race against myself anyway. In a week or two, I'll take another crack at it and see if I can beat that time.

It will also be a good test for an evening ride after the Summer ends, sometime in November. One thing I notice is that riding in the morning, at least for the first mile or so, I feel like a slug, and get better as I warm up. In the evenings, I take off and go, usually feeing pretty good from start to finish.

Getting out on the bike 5-6 times a week really has made a difference. Last weekend in Flagstaff, we started riding at 8000 ft. and rode up from there. We probably climbed more than 2000 ft. overall, and after 6 hours of riding, I still felt like I could do a few more miles. A year ago, that would have left me panting at the trailside.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

FYI - approx 650 vertical on that loop, one of my T-100 favorites

MTBikeAZ said...

I agree, riding conditions are great in Phoenix right now. I've been hitting the trails about 5:30 AM and it's felt cool actually. Low 80s no humidity, no bugs.

I haven't ridden your North Phoenix trails in years. I ride the East Valley trails for my regular rides. Reading your blog makes me want to hit the 100 again. Ride on.

Old Fat and Slow said...

If you don't mind riding with an old fat and slow guy, let me know is you plan to ride over here. I'd be happy to join you.