Monday, June 9, 2008

Gila Monster

The desert has its surprises. This isn't a great shot, but I only had my cell phone with me. I headed out to the trails about 7:00pm with the temperature around 100F. I kind of expected to see a snake or two, but I never expected to see a Gila Monster. This guy (gal?) was about 18 inches long and looked to be pretty healthy. He was in the middle of the trail when I rode up and moved to the edge, where he appears in this picture. I stopped and watched him watching me for about 5 minutes. Took a few shots and none came out very well. This one was lit by my headlamp, handlebar light and camera flash. Eventually we got tired of staring at each other and I rode off. This was on 1A in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's pretty cool. Unfortunately I never saw one even though I've been on group rides where they have been spotted.

Old Fat and Slow said...

I've never seen a lizard that big except in the zoo. My immediate reaction was "aach!" then I realized what it was, I might have gotten a better picture, but I don't know a damn thing about them, so I kept a little distance.