Sunday, November 4, 2007

White Tanks

Ok, White Tanks is is off my list.

I started up Mesquite Canyon and got into what would be a great trail for hiking, but really sucked with a bike. The first mile of climbing is simply not rideable by a geezer like me. Walking wasn't too bad, but would have been a lot better without 25 lbs of bike. After the first mile, the trail is rideable, and I managed to grind up to the intersection with Willow trail. I continued another 1/4 mile or so before I decided to bag it and go back down. The downhill was better than the climb, and I rode all but maybe 400 yds, with only 1 excursion over the bars. With the crash yesterday at Black Canyon, when I dropped my front tire into a soft spot in the sand, my total crashes since arriving in Phoenix have added up to 2.

Now that I've spent 12 bucks for access to White Tanks, I'm through paying to ride there when there are so many other places to go.

2 comments:

su.ling~ said...

Good to meet you on Saturday, Bernie. Sorry that you had an extra excursion beyond what you were expecting. We showed up just after you left and would have tried to give you better instructions.

GC is our FAVORITE trail. Yes...evil evil long uphills that are lung busters. Mesquite-Willow-Ford-GC is the full meal deal with deadly fun DH that is sure to break helmets and limbs. BUT, the XC version is just as fun...turning around just before the gnarly DH section. The ride back is just a hoot. Both are great rides and once you get your legs & lungs acclimated, well...you should try it again!

su ling

Old Fat and Slow said...

The trip up the river was actually kind of interesting. The geography in Black canyon is fascinating. The crash I did there was just a dummy not looking where he was going. I landed on sand. The "over the bars" on Mesquite trail was front wheel trying to go down while a rock was forcing it back up. That one I landed on body parts not really designed for that sort of thing. Minor scrapes were the result, but I could have crashed somewhere else without paying a park entrance fee for the privilege.

Sean will be getting into Phoenix about 9:30 on Friday the 16th and leaving Sunday evening. We're going to ride in Sedona on Saturday, then somewhere around Phoenix on Sunday. He mentioned that he'd like to see you and Jeff, so maybe we can set something up.